Once night falls, Punta Cana is transformed into a hotspot for hedonistic after-dark activities.
The fun begins after 9pm when visitors can enjoy night shows, live shows and dancing. Or for a change of pace, head on down to a casino and try your luck!
For drinkers, Punta Cana is famous for its cocktails made with a special touch of tropical fruit sweetness.
Whatever your nighttime pleasure, you are certain to find it in Punta Cana.
Read on for the ultimate guide to Punta Cana nightlife.
What is there to Do in Punta Cana at Night?
Here are is a list of some fun things visitors can do in Punta Cana at night:
- Night Shows: One of the best ways to start the night in Punta Cana is by attending a night show. Night shows offer a wide variety of performances including dances and comedy shows. Each night, you can find at least one type of show held in almost every hotel or resort in Punta Cana.
- Dancing: After the night show, the next best place to go is dancing. The nightlife in Punta Cana starts to pick up after midnight with clubs getting packed with locals and tourists alike. All sorts of music is played including merengue, bachata and even international dance music.
- Live Shows: Another great way to spend your night in Punta Cana is to watch live music shows by different Caribbean bands playing merengue and bachata. Live shows are available every day at different venues, mostly from 11pm to 4am.
- Drinking: After all that dancing, you’ll need a refreshing drink. Luckily, Punta Cana’s bars and nightclubs offer a wide variety of Caribbean drinks to cool you down. Be sure to try the Presidente, a popular local beer, or sample from the array of delicious cocktails.
- Casino: For an interesting change of pace after dancing, visit the casino. Almost every resort in Punta Cana has a casino, and those that don’t will offer transportation to take you to the closest one nearby. Even if you don’t win a penny, you are guaranteed lots of fun!
What Alcohol is Punta Cana Known for?
Punta Cana is known for alcohol such as:
- Mama Juana: A very potent herbal drink, Mama Juana is made by soaking cured tree barks in rum, red wine and honey.
- Local Rum: The liquor of choice in the Dominican Republic, rum is used as a base in many cocktails. Popular Dominican rum brands include Brugal and Barcelo.
- Local Beer: Typically served chilled, Presidente is the most popular Dominican beer. Other notable brands are Quisqueya and the pilsner-based Bohemia.
What Are the Best Drinks in Punta Cana?
Here is a list of the best drinks in Punta Cana:
- Presidente Beer: Loved by locals, Presidente beer is the most popular brand of beer in the country. Typically served cold, this Pilsner-type beer has an alcoholic content of 5%. Other good Dominican beers are Bohemia and Quisqueya.
- Mama Juana: Mama Juana is made from soaking tree bark and herbs in a mixture of rum, red wine and honey. Said to be an aphrodisiac, the drink is also consumed for its medicinal properties for the flu, indigestion, circulation, blood cleansing and liver/ kidney tonic.
- Banana Mama: Delicious and refreshing, the Banana Mama is a blend of white rum and grenadine, made sweet by banana, pineapple and coconut. Served cold, this cocktail is best taken at midday, to cool you down as the sun warms up.
- Coco Loco: Named after the coconut, a popular tropical fruit, Coco Loco is typically made from 3 equal measures of vodka, tequila and white rum, mixed with coconut cream and lemon juice. Other ingredients may include gin and pineapple juice.
- Santo Libre: One of the most popular cocktails in the Dominican Republic, Santo Libre is simple, delicious and refreshing. Moreover, it can be prepared quickly from its ingredients which include rum and lemon soda or sprite.
- Piña Colada: A must-try in Punta Cana, the Piña Colada is one of the world’s most popular fruit cocktails. Delicious and refreshing, Piña Colada is made by combining rum with a sweet touch from coconut and pineapple juice.
- Chi Chi: A variant of Piña Colada, the Chi Chi is a seductive cocktail that is perfect for sipping on the beach on a hot day. Made from vodka, cream of coconut, grenadine and pineapple juice, this drink is typically served in a large round glass and decorated with a piece of pineapple.
- Mojito: A famous cocktail of Cuban origin, the Mojito is a refreshing drink that leaves a delightfully cool feeling on your palate. Its ingredients of white rum, lemon, mint and sugar are well-balanced to make it one of the most attractive drinks for the summer.
- Tequila Sunrise: Originally from Mexico, Tequila Sunrise is a cocktail made from tequila, grenadine and orange juice. This drink delivers a bold taste that will delight any palate, and is typically served in a tall glass for drinkers to enjoy the contrasting colors.
- Caipirinha: Originally from Brazil, the Caipirinha is a refreshing cocktail that is perfect to drink when it’s hot, e.g. at sunset, or as an appetizer. For the best flavor, drink it with your straw stuck to the bottom of the glass so as to enjoy the mixture of white rum, sugar and lime.
How Much Are Drinks in Punta Cana?
Below is an overview of alcohol prices in Punta Cana.
How Much Does a Beer Cost in Punta Cana?
The cost of a beer in Punta Cana will depend on the brand.
The most popular brand of beer in Punta Cana is Presidente, which is available in both regular and lite varieties that cost between US $2.50 – 4.00.
What is the Legal Drinking Age in Punta Cana?
The legal drinking age in Punta Cana is 18.
All bars, restaurants and hotels in Punta Cana are subject to Dominican laws which have 18 as the legal age to drink in the Dominican Republic. As such, visitors must be at least 18 years old to consume alcohol in Punta Cana.
Most hotels in Punta Cana issue guests with colored bracelets to enable staff to determine what package options a guest has, including the majority age.
Hotel employees tend to pay close attention to this because the waiter/ bartender will be held responsible if someone under 18 is served alcohol.
Teens below the minimum drinking age can instead enjoy a wide selection of cocktails that do not contain alcohol. For instance, the popular Banana Mama and Pina Colada can be served without alcohol.
There are also non-alcoholic beers and wines that you can request for.
Is Punta Cana a Spring Break Destination?
Yes. Punta Cana is a Spring Break destination.
In fact, Punta Cana is fast becoming one of the world’s hottest Spring Break destinations – and with good reason.
Boasting white-sand beaches, crystal-clear turquoise seawaters, abundant activities and unlimited alcohol, Punta Cana is the perfect getaway for a party with friends.