That said, the best way to get to and from Cancun Airport is by splurging on a taxi. Travelers can save money by booking their airport taxi online in advance.
Read on for the essential guide to getting around in Cancun.
How Do You Get Around Cancun?
The best way to get around Cancun is by bus. Here’s why:
- Cancun has a great public bus system that runs through the Hotel Zone on Boulevard Kukulkan and Avenida Tulum in Downtown Cancun.
- Public bus in Cancun offers the cheapest and most convenient way to see the city. Moreover, you always know exactly what you have to pay as fares are painted on the front.
- Cancun buses can pick you up from anywhere along the bus route. You don’t have to wait at a designated bus stop, unless you are in Downtown Cancun.
- Buses in Cancun are frequent and reliable. Most buses operate from 6am to 10pm and are marked with numbers and their destinations at the front.
How Much is Transportation in Cancun?
Here is an overview of transportation prices in Cancun:
|Extra Large Van||40|
Are Taxis Cheap or Expensive in Cancun?
The price of taxis in Cancun will depend on the location from which you take them, as well as your final destination.
For instance, the average taxi fare within the Hotel Zone is 60 – 90 pesos per ride, which makes it one of Mexico’s most expensive taxi zones. Moreover, taxis operating inside the Hotel Zone have a discriminatory pricing structure established by the taxi union: tourists pay about double what the locals pay, and guests at higher-end hotels pay about double the fares of budget hotel guests.
Taxis at the airport are also very expensive, with rates being around 30% higher than regular taxis, as they have to pay the airport. Taxis within Downtown Cancun typically have a flat rate and don’t cost more than 25 pesos, unless you are heading to a tourist area, in which case you will be charged more. Always agree on the fare with the taxi driver before starting your trip.
How Much is a Taxi Ride in Cancun?
Here is an overview of the cost of one-way taxi rides in Cancun:
|Within the Hotel Zone||60 – 90|
|Within Downtown Cancun||25|
|Any other Zone||70 – 110|
|Hotel Zone to Downtown||180|
|Most Zones to the Airport||280 (up to 4 people)|
|Per Hour Rental around the City & Hotel Zone||250|
|All-Day Tour Rental (e.g. Chichen Itza or Riviera Maya)||3,500|
Do Taxis in Cancun Take Credit Cards?
No, taxis in Cancun do not take credit cards. They only take cash, in both U.S. dollars and Mexican pesos.
Is It Safe to Take a Taxi in Cancun?
Yes, it is safe to take a taxi in Cancun. However, keep in mind that although taxis in the Hotel Zone are generally safe, visitors should be cautious when taking a taxi from Downtown Cancun.
This is because tourists often get overcharged and you may not be able to get your money back if the driver fails to deliver as promised. Moreover, should you get into an accident, your driver may not be insured.
Does Cabify Work in Cancun?
Yes, Cabify works in Cancun. However, Cabify in Cancun is restricted from pick-ups within the Hotel Zone. As such, when you request for a car within the Hotel Zone, it will not work. But you can take Cabify from Downtown Cancun to the Hotel Zone, as well as anywhere else in Cancun.
Keep in mind that Cabify fares tend to be higher than those of regular taxis in Cancun. That said, Cabify drivers are vetted, have insurance, valid driver’s licenses, newer clean taxis, and offer the ability to track your trip.
Can You Use Uber in Cancun?
Yes, you can use Uber in Cancun.
Is Uber Safe in Cancun?
Yes, it is generally safe to use Uber in Cancun. Uber drivers undergo a vetting process to ensure they are qualified, and the app makes it easy for riders to see the vehicle, license plate and driver’s name and photo before boarding.
Moreover, Uber trips are tracked via GPS and insured to cover passengers in case of an accident.
Is Lyft in Cancun?
No, Lyft service is not available in Cancun.
How Much Does the Bus Cost in Cancun?
The average cost of a bus trip in Cancun is 12 pesos. Buses in Cancun have the fare painted at the front.
How Late Do Buses Run in Cancun?
Buses in Cancun run from 6am to 10pm daily.
Is It Safe to Walk Around in Cancun?
Your safety in Cancun will depend on where exactly you are walking:
- Hotel Zone: It is safe to walk around the Hotel Zone, which is the safest part of Cancun. This is because it is patrolled by the tourist police and is generally highly-populated in the daytime and well-lit with bustling bars and nightclubs after dark.
- Downtown Cancun: It is generally safe to walk around Downtown Cancun, as long as you stick to the areas nearest to the Hotel Zone. The farther away you stray from the Hotel Zone into Downtown Cancun, the less touristy and unsafe it gets.
- The Beaches: Generally, the beaches in Cancun are safe areas, as they are well-guarded, particularly the ones within the Hotel Zone. Therefore, it is safe to walk along the beach checking out vendors or shops at other resorts.
- Isla Mujeres: This is a small island situated 9 miles off the coast of Cancun, and accessible by ferry. It is safe for visitors to walk around the little town on Isla Mujeres and enjoy a relaxing day on the beautiful beach.
- Markets: Tourists should take precautions when shopping inside Cancun’s large open-air markets. Always secure your cash, jewelry and other valuables from pickpockets. Also avoid walking around these markets after dark.
- Outskirts of Cancun: Avoid straying outside of Cancun’s well-known tourist areas at night. Stick to the Yucatan Peninsula, where Cancun is located, because this region is generally considered to be safer than northern Mexico.
Can You Walk the Hotel Zone in Cancun?
Yes, you can walk the Hotel Zone in Cancun. The safest area in Cancun, the Hotel Zone is patrolled by the tourist police, and is highly-populated during the day and well-lit with happening bars and clubs at night.
That said, the Hotel Zone in Cancun is quite long, stretching 25 kilometers (15 miles). As such, it will take some time to walk past the many big hotels located along the strip.
Is There a Boardwalk in Cancun?
No, there is no boardwalk in Cancun. However, there is a sidewalk on which you can easily walk around the city.
Moreover, when weather conditions are ideal, you may take a walk from one end of the beach in Cancun to the other.