Although world-renowned as Mexico’s party capital, Cancun does have plenty of romantic appeal.
It offers sunset strolls along pristine beaches, delicious seafood dinners overlooking the ocean, and lots of Caribbean islands on which to enjoy some one-on-one time.
Newlyweds looking for the perfect place to honeymoon are guaranteed to enjoy a romantic vacation in Cancun.
Moreover, Cancun boasts a plethora of honeymoon resorts that strive to create a romantic ambience via private dinners and couples spa treatments.
The best resorts give newlyweds peace of mind and are ready to provide thoughtful touches such as butler service, breakfast-in-bed and private excursions to ensure that your first holiday as Mr. and Mrs. is a memorable experience.
Read on for the ultimate guide to honeymooning in Cancun.
Is Cancun Romantic?
Yes, Cancun is romantic.
There is certainly an air of romance about Cancun, which makes it a great place to kick off your married life.
Sunrises are gorgeous, and couples can learn about the wondrous mysticism of the ancient Mayan traditions.
There are plenty of options for adults-only resorts, pools and beaches, as well as honeymoon suites and intimate spas.
This makes Cancun a great destination for spending time with your loved one.
Is Cancun Good for Honeymoon?
Yes, Cancun is good for honeymoon.
Here is a list of reasons why you should honeymoon in Cancun:
- The Beaches are Stunning: The Caribbean coast of Mexico is world-famous for its breathtakingly beautiful beaches. Couples can sunbathe or take long walks on the soft white sands, hand in hand with your loved one. Palm trees swaying in the breeze add an idyllic touch to this land of natural wonders.
- It’s Romantic: A romantic setting is one of the main requirements for a perfect honeymoon destination, and Cancun brims with romance. Couples can relax in privacy at the adults-only resorts, pools and beaches. There are also honeymoon suites that accommodate special requests such as flowers, chocolates and champagne, as well as couples’ massages.
- Amazing Excursions: Cancun offers lots of opportunities for experiencing new things with your new spouse. Couples can visit many fantastic attractions and enjoy amazing adventures, including hiking to ancient Mayan ruins, swimming in gorgeous cenotes and visiting an underwater museum.
- It’s Affordable: Generally, Cancun is an affordable vacation destination. This is mainly because its dollar to peso conversion rate is ideal. Moreover, thanks to its popularity, airfare to Cancun is less expensive than to many other destinations in the world. As such, honeymooning in Cancun enables you to save money that you may then spend on your loved one.
- Great Hospitality: Cancun is famous for its hospitality, which goes a long way in creating memorable honeymoons. Mexican hotel workers, especially in Cancun, are renowned for their impeccable service and all round kindness. Expect to be welcomed and pampered by warm and friendly resort staff whose number one priority is to make you happy.
Where Should I Honeymoon in Cancun?
Here is a list of places to honeymoon in Cancun:
- Sun Palace: Designed exclusively for romance, Sun Palace is a gorgeous all-inclusive resort that offers luxurious rooms with double Jacuzzis, king beds, private balconies, and complimentary wine service. Upgrades at this couples-only hotel can get you bath amenities and a reserved spot at the beach with a waiter.
- Le Blanc Spa Resort: Widely regarded as the best resort in Cancun, Le Blanc is a great place to spend your honeymoon. Pampering starts upon arrival with a tropical cocktail and continues for the duration of your stay. Services include a pillow menu and butler-drawn baths every evening. Book the Royale Honeymoon Suite to enjoy a double whirlpool and billowing sheer curtains.
- Excellence Playa Mujeres: Its secluded location about half an hour’s drive north of Cancun makes this couples-only hotel even more intimate. At this all-inclusive resort, treat yourselves to a couple’s massage and a soothing hydrotherapy circuit at the spa. For even more luxury, book the 2-story suite with a private rooftop pool or the swim-up suite with direct pool access.
- Hyatt Zilara: This is a beautiful adults-only resort that boasts a fantastic location on Cancun’s widest beach. Wake up each morning to ocean views from your balcony, and spend the evenings soaking inside a private whirlpool tub for two. This all-inclusive hotel also has swim-up suites that guarantee a memorable romantic getaway.
- Secrets the Vine: This is a stylish adults-only hotel that offers luxuries not found at many other all-inclusive resorts. Enjoy complimentary access to the Playa Mujeres Golf Club, dance classes, mixology lessons and unlimited premium drinks. Choose the Eternity Honeymoon Package for extra pleasures, including a private beachfront dinner and a welcome wine and sweets platter.
- Isla Mujeres Palace: This all-inclusive, couples-only boutique hotel is situated on a white-sand beach along the southern part of Isla Mujeres. It features a pool with a swim-up bar and balconies with ocean views that offer an intimate vibe. Rooms are luxurious with Jacuzzis for 2 and furnished balconies. Perks include spa treatments, a quiet beach and no crowds.
- The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun: Distinguished by its classic style, this luxury hotel is nestled on a pristine beach with blue Caribbean seawaters. All rooms offer ocean views, with elegant and traditional decor. The resort’s luxurious and romantic ambience is perfect for couples who want to splurge. The spa has a sauna, steam room and plunge pools, and offers facials and massages.
- Temptation Cancun Resort: This is a great choice for couples who enjoy romantic getaways with a steamy touch. This adults-only, topless-optional hotel caters to uninhibited guests aged over 21 years old. There is never a dull moment at this all-inclusive property, which offers themed swimming pools, as well as nightly risqué live shows, provocative games and contests.
- Beloved Playa Mujeres: Nestled on a white-sand beach, this ultra-lux resort offers rooms with sexy decor. The luxurious suites are all-white, with spacious, sleek marble bathrooms, Jacuzzi tubs and private balconies with ocean views. The beach has private cabanas perfect for couples, as well as private plunge pools; while the spa offers upscale candlelit treatments for couples.
- Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun: Villa Rolandi is a romantic boutique hotel that embraces the laid-back vibe of Isla Mujeres. The biggest attractions for couples here are the secluded location on a pristine white-sand beach and the “no children under 13” policy. Rooms at this resort are spacious and feature large balconies with private Jacuzzis.
What is there to do in Cancun for Honeymoon?
Here is a list of things to do in Cancun for honeymoon:
- Journey along the Rio Secreto: Cancun’s secret underground rivers are quite stunning and make for a cool place to explore with your partner. Rio Secreto provides an intimate experience for adventurous couples who get to marvel at sparkling minerals and dramatic stalactites before hiking, biking and swimming along the hidden natural wonder.
- Hang out at a Beach Club: Leave your resort for the day to go hang out at one of Cancun’s many beach clubs. For a laid-back, romantic beach club experience, visit Coco’s Beach Club. Book a private beach bed or upgrade to the VIP-only lounge and enjoy an array of creative cocktails and delicious seafood while admiring the ocean views.
- Go on a Romantic Dinner Cruise: While on a romantic holiday for 2, you simply can’t go wrong with a sunset dinner cruise; and Cancun offers lots of evening sailing options for love-struck holidaymakers. Take the Columbus Lobster Dinner Cruise along the Nichupte Lagoon, listen to live bands and gaze lovingly into your partner’s eyes as you tuck into a lobster dinner and drinks.
- Escape the Crowds on a Caribbean Island: What’s the point of traveling to Cancun just to stay there the whole time? You simply must venture out to one of the Caribbean islands close by! Isla Holbox is the perfect spot for an intimate daytrip for two. Free of crowds, Holbox is a romantic place where couples can sip on coconut water and even swim with whale sharks!
- Indulge in a Couples’ Spa Treatment: If you can’t relax while on holiday with your significant other, then where can you? Cancun boasts some of the best spas in Mexico. Therefore take some time to enjoy some pampering alongside your partner with facials, full-body massages and hydrotherapy circuits. Try the incredibly intimate private couples’ suites at Nizuc Spa.
- Dine in Style Overlooking the Waterfront: There’s no shortage of fine-dining establishments and waterfront restaurants in Cancun where newlyweds can indulge. Treat yourselves to a delicious lobster dinner at Lorenzillo’s, an iconic Cancun restaurant which specializes in lobster. Seafood enthusiasts can also check out Fred’s House.
- Take a Dip in a Cenote: No trip to Cancun is complete without swimming in a cenote. Revered by the Mayans, these freshwater natural sinkholes offer an opportunity for intimate moments with your beloved. Visit the nearby Cenote Yalahua or combine a daytrip to Chichen Itza with a stopover at the Cenote Yokdzonot.
- Catch a Sunset over the Lagoon: Make a reservation at one of Cancun’s many waterfront restaurants and enjoy a delicious dinner as you watch the sun set. If you and your spouse are early risers, you can go down to the beach before the rest of Cancun wakes up and enjoy a rare moment of peace and tranquility, while watching the sun rise over the ocean.
- Learn to Dance at Grand Mambo Café: Few dances compare to the seduction of a well-rehearsed bachata. Even a salsa dance can get steamy if done properly! Before heading out to a club in Cancun, spend an hour or two of your romantic vacation at the Grand Mambo Café learning the basics of salsa, bachata or merengue.
How much is a Honeymoon to Cancun?
The average cost of a one-week honeymoon to Cancun is US $3,500 – 8,400.
Cancun has several all-inclusive resorts where couples can stay for US $250 – 600 per person per night, inclusive of flights, meals and tours.
Popular honeymoon resorts in Cancun start at US $800 per person for a 5 night stay.
You can also get a suite with a private pool for US $2000 per person.
Is Cancun Safe for Honeymoon?
Yes, Cancun is perfectly safe for honeymoon.
Besides the opportunistic crimes such as petty theft, bag-snatching and pickpocketing that typically occur in major tourist areas, crimes against tourists are rare in Cancun.
You can reduce your risk of falling victim to crime in Cancun by using your common sense and sticking to the well-populated tourist areas.
What Should We Pack for Honeymoon in Cancun?
Here is a list of items to pack for honeymoon in Cancun:
- Proof of Identity: You will need a passport that is valid through the length of your stay. If you have already changed your name to that of your husband’s, also carry your marriage certificate as proof of identity.
- Sun Protection: Skin that is too sore to be touched is a huge deterrent to romance. Therefore pack sunscreen and apply it often. Also pack some cooling moisturizing lotions and painkillers for soothing relief in case of sunburn.
- Water Purification Tablets: These are necessary for foodie couples who plan to eat out a lot outside the resort restaurants. Also pack some anti-diarrhea pills just in case your gastronomical adventure doesn’t work out.
- Seductive Clothing: It’s your honeymoon and you’re on the beach so it’s natural to want to dress in a sexy way. So be sure to pack some lacy lingerie, flattering bathing suits, flip-flops, cover-ups and hats.
- Conservative Clothing: You may also need some conservative clothing if you plan to go sightseeing outside of Cancun. Cover up to show respect when visiting churches or small communities with modest dressing habits.
- Shoes: Strappy sandals and flip-flops are ideal footwear for a romantic beach vacation. But also pack some comfortable walking or hiking shoes for visiting historical and archeological sites such as Chichen Itza.