Read on for the ultimate guide to getting to and around Isla Mujeres.
Can You Fly Into Isla Mujeres?
No, you cannot fly into Isla Mujeres. This is because the Isla Mujeres National Airport currently does not offer any commercial passenger flights.
Does Isla Mujeres Have an Airport?
Yes, Isla Mujeres has an airport known as the Isla Mujeres National Airport (ISJ). Located in the northern end of the island, the airport is used mainly for general aviation, chartered flights and occasionally for military operations by the Mexican Armed Forces. Currently, no commercial passenger flights are being offered at the Isla Mujeres airport.
What Airport Do You Fly Into for Isla Mujeres?
The best airport to fly into for Isla Mujeres is the Cancun International Airport (CUN). Situated on mainland Mexico, Cancun Airport is the closest airport to Isla Mujeres that offers commercial passenger flights.
What Airlines Fly to Isla Mujeres?
No airlines fly to Isla Mujeres. This is because no commercial passenger flights are currently being offered from the Isla Mujeres National Airport. However, there are 39 airlines that fly to Cancun Airport, which is the best airport to fly into for Isla Mujeres.
Do You Need a Passport to Go to Isla Mujeres?
Yes, all tourists entering Mexico by air, land or sea need a valid passport. Mexican entry/ exit requirements provide that passports should be valid for a minimum of 90 days beyond the departure date. Nevertheless, it is recommended to always have 6 months validity on your passport.
How Do I Get From Cancun Airport to Isla Mujeres Ferry?
Here is a list of transportation options for getting from Cancun Airport to the Isla Mujeres ferry:
- Shared Shuttle: This is the most popular means of transportation from Cancun Airport to the Isla Mujeres ferry. Shared shuttles are available all day from Cancun Airport, but must be booked in advance. Passengers using these shuttles should be ok with sharing and making stops en route.
- Airport Taxi: While it is impossible to get a regular taxi from Cancun Airport, there is a taxi-like service available all day that goes to the Isla Mujeres ferry. Airport taxis provide the fastest and cheapest “private” means of transportation from Cancun Airport to the Isla Mujeres ferry.
- Private Transfer: Although expensive, private transfers provide the most convenient means of getting from Cancun Airport to the Isla Mujeres ferry. Available all day, private transfers have no delays, no luggage restrictions and no waiting time fees.
- Public Bus: Taking the bus is the cheapest albeit slowest means of getting from Cancun Airport to the Isla Mujeres ferry. Moreover, you will need to take a short taxi ride at the end to get to the ferry dock. The R-1 bus goes directly from Cancun Airport to the Isla Mujeres ferry daily.
- Rental Car: Cancun Airport is the largest car rental center in Cancun, hosting all major international franchises and local companies. Rental cars are available all day with a confirmed booking. You can find parking both within and outside the Isla Mujeres ferry terminal.
How Far is Isla Mujeres from Cancun Airport?
The distance from Cancun Airport to Isla Mujeres is 34.4 kilometers. It takes just over an hour to get to Isla Mujeres from Cancun Airport.
How Long Does It Take to Get From Cancun Airport to Isla Mujeres?
It takes just over an hour to get from Cancun Airport to Isla Mujeres.
How much is a Taxi from Cancun Airport to Isla Mujeres Ferry?
A taxi from Cancun Airport to the Isla Mujeres ferry dock at Puerto Juarez costs a minimum of US $45 for regular fares, and US $24.43 for online fares.
How Far is the Isla Mujeres Ferry from Cancun Airport?
|TERMINAL||DISTANCE (KM)||TIME (MINUTES)||ROUTE|
|Puerto Juarez||21.5||24||Tulum/México 307|
|Playa Tortugas||24.3||26||Tulum/México 307|
|El Embarcadero||23.2||24||Tulum/México 307|
|Playa Caracol||23.5||26||Punta Nizuc – Cancun|
|Punta Sam||27.3||31||Tulum/México 307|
How Far is Isla Mujeres from Cancun?
The distance from Cancun to Isla Mujeres is 19.6 kilometers. It takes about one hour to get to Isla Mujeres from Cancun using the Puerto Juarez – Isla Mujeres ferry.
How Do I Get From Cancun to Isla Mujeres?
The best way to get from Cancun to Isla Mujeres is by ferry.
Can You Drive From Cancun to Isla Mujeres?
No, you cannot drive from Cancun to Isla Mujeres because there is no bridge linking the 2 locations.
Is There a Ferry From Cancun to Isla Mujeres?
Yes, there is a ferry service from Cancun to Isla Mujeres. The ferry ride from Cancun to Isla Mujeres takes around 20 minutes. Ferries run every 30 minutes or so and tickets are inexpensive. Be sure to grab a seat at the outdoor top deck to enjoy breathtaking views of the turquoise seawaters, as well as some entertaining live music during the ferry ride.
Which Ferry to Take to Isla Mujeres?
The ferry from Cancun to Isla Mujeres has the following 5 departure terminals:
- Puerto Juarez: Located in Puerto Juarez some 2km north of Downtown, Gran Puerto (Ultramar) is the biggest ferry terminal in Cancun, as well as the one with the most departures. From the modern Ultramar terminal, ferry boats leave daily for Isla Mujeres every half-hour.
- Playa Tortugas: Located within the Hotel Zone, the ferry terminal at Playa Tortugas offers 8 departures daily. Although Cancun Hotel Zone ferries are more expensive than the Puerto Juarez ferry, they are convenient if you are staying in the Hotel Zone, as you can easily access them by bus.
- El Embarcadero: Also located along Boulevard Kukulcan in the Hotel Zone, the ferry terminal at El Embarcadero offers 6 departures daily.
- Playa Caracol: The ferry terminal at Playa Caracol is also found within the Hotel Zone and has 6 daily departures.
- Punta Sam: The ferry terminal at Punta Sam departs every hour and mainly transports cars. This ferry is a much bigger boat with the capacity to carry cars, motorcycles, bicycles and even trucks, as well as passengers.
How long is Ferry Ride to Isla Mujeres?
The ferry ride to Isla Mujeres takes around 20 minutes.
How Much Does It Cost to Go to Isla Mujeres From Cancun?
Ferry tickets per person from Cancun to Isla Mujeres cost 160 Mexican pesos one-way and 300 Mexican pesos for a round-trip.
Where Does the Ferry Drop You Off in Isla Mujeres?
The ferry to Isla Mujeres drops passengers off at Terminal Maritima APIQROO, which is located on Avenida Rueda Medina.
How Do I Get to Isla Mujeres by Car?
It is impossible to drive to Isla Mujeres from Cancun as there is no bridge connecting the two destinations. As such, the only way to technically get to Isla Mujeres by car is by using the car ferry service that departs from Punta Sam, around 10 minutes north of Puerto Juarez. The car ferry service allows you to sit inside your switched-off vehicle that you drove onto the ferry heading to Isla Mujeres.
Can You Take a Car on the Ferry to Isla Mujeres?
It depends on which ferry you are taking. The ferries to Isla Mujeres that leave from Puerto Juarez, Playa Tortugas, El Embarcadero and Playa Caracol are only for passengers.
However, you can take a car to Isla Mujeres using the car ferry service from Punta Sam, which is located about 10 minutes north of Puerto Juarez. Fares for the car ferry service include one driver, with extra costs for each additional passenger. Tickets need to be purchased before boarding. Because ticket lines can be long, it is recommended that you arrive at least an hour before departure.
Below is an overview of ferry fares to Isla Mujeres from Punta Sam:
|One-Way (Mexican Pesos)|
|Compact Family Car||280|
|Motorcycle with Driver||125|
|Bicycle with Driver||100|
How Far is Isla Mujeres from Playa Del Carmen?
The distance from Playa Del Carmen to Isla Mujeres is 85 kilometers. It takes almost 2 hours to get to Isla Mujeres from Playa Del Carmen.
Is There a Ferry From Playa Del Carmen to Isla Mujeres?
No, there is no ferry from Playa Del Carmen to Isla Mujeres.
In order to get from Playa Del Carmen to Isla Mujeres, you will first need to take a bus to Cancun via the Carr. Tulum – Cancun/Mexico 307 road. From here, take a taxi to the ferry terminal at Puerto Juarez and then board the ferry to Isla Mujeres. A faster albeit more expensive option would be to take a private transfer from Playa Del Carmen directly to the ferry dock at Puerto Juarez.
How long is the Ferry from Playa Del Carmen to Isla Mujeres?
There is no ferry to Isla Mujeres from Playa Del Carmen. The only ferry that goes to Isla Mujeres is from Cancun, which takes around 20 minutes.
How Do You Get From Riviera Maya to Isla Mujeres?
In order to get from the Riviera Maya to Isla Mujeres, you will first need to take the bus to Cancun using the Carr. Tulum – Cancun/ Mexico 307 road. From here, grab a taxi to the ferry dock at Puerto Juarez and then the ferry to Isla Mujeres. A quicker but more expensive option would be to take a private transfer from the Riviera Maya directly to the ferry terminal at Puerto Juarez.
How Far is Riviera Maya from Isla Mujeres?
The distance to the Riviera Maya from Isla Mujeres is 97.5 kilometers. It takes just over 2 hours to get from Isla Mujeres to the Riviera Maya.
How Far is Cozumel from Isla Mujeres?
The distance to Cozumel from Isla Mujeres is 116.4 kilometers. It takes just over 3 hours to get from Isla Mujeres to Cozumel.
Is There a Ferry From Cozumel to Isla Mujeres?
No, there is no ferry from Cozumel to Isla Mujeres.
In order to get from Cozumel to Isla Mujeres, you will first need to take the ferry from Cozumel to Playa Del Carmen. Next take a bus to Cancun via the Carr. Tulum – Cancun/ Mexico 307 road. From here, grab a taxi to the Puerto Juarez ferry terminal and then board the ferry to Isla Mujeres. Although more expensive, it would be faster to take a private transfer directly from Playa Del Carmen to Puerto Juarez.
How Much Does It Cost to Go to Isla Mujeres?
Here is an overview of ferry ticket prices from Cancun to Isla Mujeres:
|Puerto Juarez||160 Mexican Pesos||300 Mexican Pesos|
|Playa Tortugas||15 U.S. Dollars||21 U.S. Dollars|
|El Embarcadero||15 U.S. Dollars||21 U.S. Dollars|
|Playa Caracol||15 U.S. Dollars||21 U.S. Dollars|
|Punta Sam||170 Mexican Pesos||N/A|
How Do I Get Around Isla Mujeres?
Here is a list of the various ways to get around Isla Mujeres:
- Golf Cart: The electric golf cart is a popular mode of transportation on Isla Mujeres. Golf carts are available for hire at many hotels or rental shops for around US $49 for 24 hours. Prices for rentals are generally similar across the island. Although golf carts cannot go over 30 kmph (19 mph), they are lots of fun. In any case, there’s no need to hurry on Isla Mujeres.
- Scooter: Another fun way of exploring Isla Mujeres is via scooter (motorized bike). Fully automated models are available for hire at 100 Mexican pesos per hour, 250 Mexican pesos for 8 hours, and 350 Mexican pesos for 24 hours. Scooters come with helmets and seats for 2 people. Riders should beware that the scooter rental price is not inclusive of insurance.
- Bicycles: Travelers can also rent bicycles from several hotels on Isla Mujeres for around 200 Mexican pesos per day, which is usually inclusive of a lock and basket. Bikes are ideal for families with older children, and there is no need to worry about getting lost while cycling around Isla Mujeres, as the island only has one main road with a few offshoots.
- Tricycle Taxis: The simplest and least expensive means of getting to hotels located in El Centro/Downtown Isla Mujeres is via tricycle taxi. A ride from the ferry pier to any hotel in the downtown area will cost around 20 to 30 Mexican pesos. Tricycle taxi drivers are generally friendly and will usually assist you with your bags.
- Regular Taxi: At the parking lot to the right of the pier you will always find regular taxis lined up, with their rates displayed. Taxi fares cost about 25 Mexican pesos for trips within El Centro/ Downtown, and 50 Mexican pesos for trips to the island’s southern end. It is also possible to hire a taxi for about 100 Mexican pesos per hour.
- Walking: Because Isla Mujeres is so small, it is fairly easy to navigate on foot. As such, visitors can easily walk from the pier to Playa Norte, the northern end of the island, while exploring the tiny streets lined with restaurants and shops. Walking provides an easier way to discover more parts of the island, beyond the beaches and lanes near the ferry dock.
Are Cars Allowed on Isla Mujeres?
Yes, cars are allowed on Isla Mujeres. That said, although Isla Mujeres is not completely car free, there are very few cars on the island. Having a car on Isla Mujeres is not really worth it as the streets are often crowded with pedestrians and traffic can be a nightmare. Moreover, the island is small enough to navigate with a golf cart, scooter and bicycle or by walking. You can also take a tricycle/ regular taxi.
Can You Take a Car to Isla Mujeres?
Yes, it is possible to take a car to Isla Mujeres via ferry, only that it is expensive and time-consuming to do so. It is not recommended to take a car to Isla Mujeres as parking on the island is rather limited. Moreover, it is much more fun to explore the island on foot or by renting a golf cart.
Do You Need a Car on Isla Mujeres?
No, you do not need a car on Isla Mujeres, as there are other fun and convenient ways to get around. Visitors can discover the island by walking; renting golf carts, scooters and bicycles; or taking tricycles and regular taxis.
How Long Does It Take to Drive Around Isla Mujeres?
It takes around one hour to drive around Isla Mujeres.
How Much Are Taxis on Isla Mujeres?
Taxi fares on Isla Mujeres cost around 25 Mexican pesos within the El Centro (Downtown) area, and around 50 Mexican pesos to the southern part of the island. It is also possible to hire a taxi for around 100 Mexican pesos per hour. There are always regular taxis lined up at the parking lot to the right of the ferry dock, with their rates displayed.
How Much Does It Cost to Rent a Golf Cart on Isla Mujeres?
It costs around US $49 to rent a golf cart for a 24 hours on Isla Mujeres. Rental prices are generally the same across the island.
How Much Does It Cost to Rent a Scooter in Isla Mujeres?
On Isla Mujeres, it costs around US $30 to rent a scooter for 24 hours and US $25 to rent between 9am and 5pm.